[gmx-users] Entropy correction in PMF

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 00:34:36 CEST 2008

Chris,

I think you are correct here. For binding calculations there is
probably a further trick relating to how to define an unbound state
that has a well-defined concentration. This I think depends on how one
is pulling -- i.e. doing simple radial PMFs is probably a bad idea,
because to even converge the PMF when the ligand is separate from the
protein, you by definition need to integrate over all x, y, and z at
that r, so you end up needing to sample a spherical shell covering a
substantial fraction of the simulation box. For this reason I think
it's probably wiser to do pulling along a specified vector away from
the protein, for example (this is what people using this strategy have
mostly done, I think). Additionally there is the standard state issue,
which is important also.

I think you may have more or less raised all of these issues already;
I'm just trying to put them a slightly different way.

David