[gmx-users] Entropy correction in PMF

Ángel Piñeiro fangel at usc.es
Fri Apr 25 17:36:17 CEST 2008

Thank you David,
what you are suggesting is indeed a difference between substrate-protein
and methane-methane that seems more clearly related with the entropic
correction. If I understood well, what you mean is that the space
accessible to a ligand when it is pulled into a protein is restricted by
the interactions of the ligand with the protein atoms that form the
pocket. However I think that the entropic correction should still stand
in some way... it could be a correction with non-spherical symmetry,
probably a cylindrical symmetry could work as an approach if the
coordinate for the pmf was just the distance between the two molecules
instead of, for instance, a vector in the z direction.

On the other hand I don't see a clear connection between this and the
concentration. The absolute concentration of ligand, protein and complex
is of course important to correct for the reference state but the
entropic correction appears to be independent... As you mention the
definition of the complex -that is another item to take into account-
could seem to be more related to the entropic correction but I think it
is also an independent effect because, even when you have a reasonable
method to define the complex and the restriction to the motion of the
ligand into the pocket exists, there is a certain freedom to move
laterally at each distance.

These are my conclusions but I am not sure I am right...

Angel Piñeiro.