[gmx-users] membrane with OPLS force field

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Aug 5 14:54:06 CEST 2008

Rebeca García Fandiño wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to simulate a membrane + protein system using the OPLS
> force field for both, the protein and the membrane. I have looked for a
> previous equilibrated membrane simulated using the OPLS force field, but
> I did not find it.
> Please, does anybody knows where I could find a membrane simulated with
> the OPLS force field?

I've never seen one either.  The Berger parameters (commonly used) are based in
part on OPLS parameters, and as such, Chris Neale has posted a nice procedure
for modifying the Berger parameters (present at Tieleman's site as lipid.itp)
such that they can be used in conjunction with an OPLS representation of your
protein:

http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2006-May/021416.html

Recent literature (from Tieleman's group) has suggested that this is a more
accurate representation of protein-lipid interactions than the classic
Gromos+Berger representation that is quite common in the literature.

If you're desperate for an OPLS bilayer, you may have to generate it yourself.

-Justin

> Thank you very much for your help.
> Best wishes,
> Rebeca García
> Parc Cientific de Barcelona
> regafan at hotmail.com <mailto:regafan at hotmail.com>

> ¡Sé solidario, haz clic! Por cada búsqueda que hagas desde Windows Live
> Search, estarás ayudando a los que más lo necesitan Un clic solidario
> <http://www.unclicsolidario.com/>

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080