[gmx-users] Re: simulating with air

Vitaly Chaban chaban at univer.kharkov.ua
Wed Aug 13 09:14:23 CEST 2008

Hi Andy,

To be absolutely correct air contains not only oxygen and nitrogen but
also other components, so when I mentioned about 'hard work' I meant
pointing out all the gases (and their fractions) usually present in
the atmospheric air.

As for FF, I suggest you to find original papers where O2 and N2
respectively were simulated  and make your own .itp file with these
parameters. It is always much better to have an ideal source of
potentials if you're further about to print the results of your
simulation.

The possible problem of the gromacs force field is that it is not
constructed for single O2 and N2 molecules and, again, not for the
gaseous state. However, I think if you use LJ-12-6 parameters they
would appear close enough both in the gromacs FF and anywhere else.

Pls. let me know if you need further help or guide.

Best,
Vitaly