[gmx-users] Re: categorization

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Aug 13 13:27:25 CEST 2008

Vitaly Chaban wrote:
>> Message: 5
>> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:21:51 -0400
>> From: "Justin A. Lemkul" <jalemkul at vt.edu>
>> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Re: requested for GROMACS package
>> To: vvchaban at gmail.com, Discussion list for GROMACS users
>>        <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>>

>> Vitaly Chaban wrote:
>>
>>> P.S. Justin is extremely strict today. :)
>>>
>> Apologies if I've been coming of a bit dry or sarcastic.  I do try to help, at
>> least by pointing individuals to the proper resources.  We seem to be getting
>> the same questions day after day :)  I myself have received quite a bit of help
>> from generous individuals.
>>
>> My motto is, "Teach a man to fish, and he'll be satisfied for life, but if you
>> simply give him the fish, he'll ask you the next day why his fish gave a
>> segmentation fault."
>>
>> -Justin
>>

> Yeah, it's a permanent problem. Every day new users come to gromacs
> and every new user asks nearly the same questions. And nearly every
> user is given the same answers by Justin  et al. :)
>
> Maybe, it's worth to try a something like forum (for example free
> phpBB engine, parallel with this gmx-users list) to categorize
> questions and answers by topic? Of course, it is almost the same as
> searching list archives and browsing wiki but perhaps it would be a
> bit more convenient.

Interesting idea, but my concern would be that the resources would become too
dilute.  If there are three places to search for information, and two places to
ask questions, ultimately it may lead to information scattering :)

Perhaps a proposition for the developers - would it be possible to make the wiki
site more visible in printing error messages, or even in the initial "Welcome to
gmx-users" message?  I joined the list a couple years ago, so I don't know what
the text is any more, but if it was prominently displayed that *before posting*
one should check the wiki and list archive, that would be very helpful.  I know
it's in the footer of the emails, but that may not be obvious until after posting.

Perhaps, as well, error messages from common utilities (pdb2gmx, grompp, mdrun)
could print something like "Please search wiki.gromacs.org and the gmx-users
mailing list archive at gromacs.org for solutions to this issue.  If you cannot
resolve the problem, seek help from the gmx-users listserv."  More advanced
utilities probably don't need this type of messages, IMHO, since about 90% of
the questions I have seen recently come from the three I've mentioned.

-Justin

> What do you think about, gromacs site maintainers?
>

> P.S. Discussion board using by VASP users:
> http://cms.mpi.univie.ac.at/vasp-forum/forum.php

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080