[gmx-users] Genion failing in parallel runs.

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Aug 26 15:53:55 CEST 2008

Bhanu wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using Gromacs 3.3.3, installed with double precision. When I run
> genion with this command:
>
> genion_d -s *.tpr -o *.gro -g genion.log -pot pot.pdb -p *.top -neutral
>
> the following error message was generated:
>
> Program genion_d Version 3.3.3
> sourcecode file: init.c, line 69
>
> Fatal error:
> run input file prakash.tpr was made for 32 nodes
> while genion_d expected it to be for 1 node
>
> System is "protein in water", dodecahedron box. Everything is fine till
> energy minimisation. genion is failing.
>
> Any clue??

The problem is that genion is not MPI code, i.e., not parallelized.  Usually one
does all of the preparation steps (pdb2gmx, editconf, genion) at one time, then
begins MPI work - minimization, equilibration, production.

-Justin

> Thanks.
> --
>    _  _
>   (_)(_)
>     (,,)
>    =()=
>   ((__)\
>    The Lab Rats
>
> When u r busy judging ppl, you've no time to love'em..  -Nick Vujicic

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080