[gmx-users] work from pulling simulation

Daniel S. Han dsh2002 at med.cornell.edu
Thu Dec 4 02:36:08 CET 2008

Hello GMXers,

I am performing steered MD simulations using the pull code in
1-Dimension (z) and I'd like to calculate the work done on my system (in
the z-direction) by the pulling spring.

If my output PDO pulling file looks something like this:

Time    Z_pulled_group	Z_bead
0	0		0
1	.5		1
2	1		2

Then my forces and work should be this?

Time    dZ	Spring Force	Work_on_system
0	0	0  * k		0  * 0  * k  ???
1	.5	.5 * k		.5 * .5 * k  ???
2	1	1  * k 		1  * 1  * k  ???

where
dZ = (Z_bead-Z_pulled_group)
F  = k*dz
W  = F*dz

Originally, I thought it would be more accurate to get the work by using an average force.
For example, at t=1,
W = (F(t=1)+F(t=0))/2 * dZ(t=1),
but the results obtained this way seem to be worse -- meaning they were very different than what I expected in my control systems.

If someone could please comment on whether this seems to be the correct/incorrect way to calculate things, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Danny.