[gmx-users] torsion potential with 7 parameters

Xavier Periole X.Periole at rug.nl
Fri Feb 1 08:39:09 CET 2008

Hi Angel,

> If the transformation can not be analytical, I could fit (numerically)
> the parameters of the Ryckaert-Belleman potential to the function that
> results from the original one... Although this is not probably the best
> way of using the force field as originally proposed, the difference
> should be negligible.

If the fit to a Ryckaert-Belleman potential does not satisfy you, the
tabulated potentials should work fine. I never used it but I believe
it is a good solution and straightforward to use.

> Another alternative is to edit the code to introduce the new function,
> but I guess this is not trivial, any tip on this?

This should be your last and desperate solution ... but is certainly
feasible.

Best
XAvier

> Angel Pineiro.

>> > It could well be that you'll have to wait for 4.0 for the tabulated
>> > dihedrals.
>> >
>> > You can however specify two torsion potentials around the same bond.
>> > This is how it is done routinely in CHARMM, where there are even more
>> > than two for some torsions.
>>
>> Yep, although with sufficiently cunning trigonometry, you can reduce any
>> combination of those to one Ryckaert-Belleman dihedral. This doesn't help
>> for n >= 6, however.
>>
>> Mark

XAvier Periole - PhD

NMR & Molecular Dynamics Group