[gmx-users] toluene tutorial sc-power value

cilpa at users.csc.fi cilpa at users.csc.fi
Wed Feb 13 18:27:10 CET 2008

Hi MaiK,
Sorry i forgot the subject. Thank you to have answered this email. This
tutorial is about solvation free energy of toluene using thermodynamical
cycles. two energies have to be calculated according to this cycle, the
hydration energy of toluene and the mutation energy from dummy to toluene
in vacuo. For each energy calculation several MD simulation for different
lambda value must be performed. in the mdp files given i added the line
sc-power=1 and made the calculation. from the file dgdl.xvg obtained for
each lambda value i used the g_analyse command to get the average and the
estimated error of free energy.
i made the plot <dgdl>=f(lambda) for the first part (hydration of toluene)
integrated and get the integrated value of the plot and did the same for
mutation energy of toluene and made the difference of the two integrated
values. I really don't know where the error came from :
-version of gromacs, the fact that mpi has been used for the first part
and single process for the mutation part (because of shake block problem)
won't change anything i guess, I would carefully go through one more time
and check why i didn't get the right value. I don't know if this high
estimated   error is really problematic.
regards
geraldine