[gmx-users] toluene tutorial sc-power value

cilpa at users.csc.fi cilpa at users.csc.fi
Fri Feb 15 13:45:52 CET 2008

hi

concerning the cycle i saw this error since i started the tutorial, i paid
attention to that but as you said it's not that important since my energy
value is too high. i'm right now doing the problem again with sc-power=2
and also 10 points is it enough to have an approximate correct value since
i have to integrate the average energy plot by xmgrace, i don't know what
kind of integration they use, trapezoid? or... it could have an effect if
i don't have enough point. but then .. here attached is my top. file.
regards
geraldine

On Fri, February 15, 2008 11:07 am, Maik Goette wrote:
> I had a veeery short look into the tutorial and found an error.
>

> DG_hyd=DG_1-DG_3-DG_2 for the cycle is wrong.
>

> The correct cycle would be:
>

> DG_1+DG_3=DG_hyd+DG_2
>

> =>DG_hyd=DG_1-DG_2+DG_3 with DG_3 =0
>

> So its:
> DG_hyd=DG_1-DG_2 instead of DG_hyd=DG_1-DG_3
>

> Anyway, this won't help you, cause the only effect is a change of the
> sign to +19 and therefore worse.
>
> Can you show me the topology, you made?
> As far as the free energy experts here discussed it, sc-power=2
> shouldn't be the lambda-dependance of choice. I can agree to that from my
> simulations.
>
> regards
>
> Maik Goette, Dipl. Biol.
> Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry
> Theoretical & computational biophysics department
> Am Fassberg 11
> 37077 Goettingen
> Germany
> Tel.  : ++49 551 201 2310
> Fax   : ++49 551 201 2302
> Email : mgoette[at]mpi-bpc.mpg.de
> mgoette2[at]gwdg.de WWW   : http://www.mpibpc.gwdg.de/groups/grubmueller/
>

> cilpa at users.csc.fi wrote:
>> Hi maik
>>

>> the energy DEltaG_hyd=deltaG_mutation(vacuo)-deltaGmutation(water)
>>

>> for fisrt one deltaG_mutation(vacuo) =-2,85 for second
>> deltaGmutation(water) =15,87
>>
>> so i found DEltaG_hyd = -19 kj/mol instead of -3,1 kj/mol
>>
>> i'll do a series of calculation with sc-power=2 and see the difference
>> see if there's some significant difference. geraldine
>>

>> On Thu, February 14, 2008 10:57 am, Maik Goette wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>

>>> Now, make sure, that you apply the thermodynamic cycle correctly.
>>> I wouldn't wonder about large errors. Depending on the definition of
>>> large. Error estimation from free energy calculations can be very
>>> tricky. Using mpi shouldn't influence your calculations outcome.
>>> Still I don't know the error.
>>> How to post the numbers: Exp. value (+error) and your calculated value
>>>  (+error) ? From those I could tell you if something is terribly
>>> wrong or not. :)
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>

>>> Maik Goette, Dipl. Biol.
>>> Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry
>>> Theoretical & computational biophysics department
>>> Am Fassberg 11
>>> 37077 Goettingen
>>> Germany