[gmx-users] Noe distance restraints

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 29 14:04:21 CET 2008

Chiara Parravicini wrote:

> Do you refer to pages 58-61 or 148-149 of the manual, about distance
> restraints and NMR refinement?

Yes. Having read them, and having worked out how to implement them in
the context of the tables in section 5.6 4 is prerequisite to you
solving your problem :-) "How do I do x?" is not the sort of question to
which some random person on the web will give more than a one-sentence
answer. This is especially true if the person asking is unknown to them,
and hasn't yet demonstrated they've tried all avenues to learn about
and/or solve their own problem. See
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html for discussion of
such topics :-)

> In that case is still not clear to me if the authors in the cited paper
> use simple distance restraints or apply NMR-derived data, given that the
> model presented is based on a X-Ray structure.

Nor me. If I had to guess, I'd guess they were just using simple
distance restraints. You should be asking the authors, or checking what
algorithms are implemented in CHARMM32a216, instead of asking us :-)

> So, should I define arbitrary Hbond cutoffs instead of NOE distance
> restraints?

That depends on the answers to the above, and I've no idea what you mean
by "arbitrary Hbond cutoffs" in a GROMACS context.