[gmx-users] topology treatment in free energy calculations - possible bug

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 16:39:36 CET 2008

Maik

> I just found a strange behaviour of GROMACS, when processing topologies
> with B-values. Maybe I just think of it as unintuitive/bug, but here we go:
>
> e.g. OPLS
>
> Consider an angle given (all atoms have B-values, which angle-parameter
> can be found by GROMACS in the bonded.itp for the A- and B-state):
>
> Original topology entry:
> 10    12    14     1
>
> Manually edited entry (with the correct ff-term):
> 10    12    14     1     109.700     669.440
>
> Now, a dump from the tpr-files yields the following:
> Original:
> functype[109]=ANGLES, thA= 1.09700e+02, ctA= 6.69440e+02, thB=
> 1.09500e+02, ctB= 2.92880e+02
>
> Edited:
> functype[109]=ANGLES, thA= 1.09700e+02, ctA= 6.69440e+02, thB=
> 1.09700e+02, ctB= 6.69440e+02

I *think* this behavior is described in the documentation. Basically,
anytime A state parameters are specified in the topology and B state
are omitted, A state are copied to B state. To make B state different,
you have to either (a) specify them explicitly, or (b) have them
looked up in the force field where they are different. So this is
expected behavior.

David