[gmx-users] Re: Different system volumes from gromacs versions 3.2.1 and 3.3.1

Xavier Periole X.Periole at rug.nl
Tue Jan 8 15:56:15 CET 2008

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 15:39:51 +0200 (EET)
  Perttu Niemela <perttu.niemela at hut.fi> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In December here was a short discussion about a water system, for which
>gromacs versions 3.2.1 and 3.3.1 produced different average volumes. I have
>experienced similar thing with Marrink's coarse grained water (about 1500
>beads in the box), but to opposite direction.

Just by curiosity: which version the ff you use?

> My test runs with gromacs 3.1.4 and 3.2.1 always give a larger average
>volume than versions 3.3.1. and 3.3.2. The difference is much larger than the
>fluctuations. I use berendsen barostat (isotropic; p = 1 atm) and thermostat
>(T=300K). In my simulations, the off-diagonal terms of the virial are very
>close to zero. Additionally, I have tested using simple cutoffs instead of
>switch/shift functions, but it does not affect the general conclusion.

How much is the difference you observe and which percentage of the volume
does this represent?

> Can it be that the difference in calculating the kinetic energy (and
>temperature) leads to the observed volume difference? I did a quick test to
>modify the code of gromacs v. 3.3.1 such that it calculates kinetic energy
>exactly like in v. 3.2.1, and the volume jumps back up.
>
> Can somebody please confirm, if this is expected? I cannot fully understand
>how a more exact calculation of the kinetic energy would lead to a
>significant change of the average volume (?)

Well a change in temperature should affect the volume of course, so the
change in estimation of the kinetic energy will affect the volume but
the effect should be very small!

XAvier

> Regards,
> Perttu Niemela