[gmx-users] Different system volumes from gromacs versions 3.2.1 and 3.3.1

Perttu Niemela perttu.niemela at hut.fi
Wed Jan 9 11:00:37 CET 2008

Hi again,

I used the "Martini" version of the force-field. The difference in volume
is only about 1 percent, but still much larger than the fluctuations which
are about 0.1 percent. The effect is very systematic though, and it can be
disturbing if you have carelessly run simulations with different versions
and try to compare the results :)

The reason why I am testing this is that we observed a similar effect with
other force fields too, and could not explain it. For example, area per
lipid values for lipid bilayers (all-atom) displayed a similar dependency
on gromacs version, but now with 5 to 10 percent differences. I am not yet
sure if this is caused by the same effect at all, but continuing to test
on it.

If anybody has seen similar effects and/or has other possible
explanations, would be nice to hear them.

Regards,
Perttu