[gmx-users] Pi Stacking in OPLSAA ff

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Jan 10 11:05:16 CET 2008

Ramya Cherukupalli wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>     I am trying to simulate a mutant lipase molecule using OPLS AA
> forcefield. In the crystal structure study, presence of a Pi-stacking
> interaction has been proposed to help in enhancement of thermostable
> behavior of the mutant.
>
> I wanted to clarify 2 things..
>
> 1. Does OPLS AA parameterize/recognize Pi-stacking?? Actually i do have
> read some papers  which dealt with pi-stacking using OPLS ff but nothing
> is mentioned whether we have to declare pi-stacking as a *patch* for the
> ff to identify.. or not????

This is not explicitly modeled. It comes in through
qaudropole-quadrupole interactions, but these compete with packing
(sterical effects) and Van der Waals interactions. You can probably find
some older literature on it, like this one:

@article{Jorgensen90,
         author = {William L. Jorgensen and Daniel L. Severance},
         title = {Aromatic-Aromatic Interactions: Free Energy Profiles
for the Be
nzene
         Dimer in Water, Chloroform and Liquid Benzene},
         journal = BTjacs,
         year = {1990},
         volume = {112},
         pages = {4768--4774},

}

and for amber:

@article{Chipot96a,
         author = {C. Chipot and R. Jaffe and B. Maigret and D. A.
Pearlman and P
. A.
         Kollman},
         title = {Benzene dimer: A good model for {$\Pi-\Pi$}
interactions in Pro
teins?
         A comparison between the benzene and toluene dimers in the gas
phase
         and in aqueous solution},
         journal = BTjacs,
         year = {1996},
         volume = {118},
         pages = {11217-11224},

}

> 2. I am not sure about the process of creating a *patch* in Gromacs.. So,
> can anyone help me out for the same.. ????
>
>       If anyone has worked in this earlier, suggestions are welcome..
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Regards,

David van der Spoel, Ph.D.