[gmx-users] image control

Myunggi Yi myunggi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 22:33:18 CET 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 2:48 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> Quoting Myunggi Yi <myunggi at gmail.com>:
>
> > I don't think this is caused by VMD.
> > The real coordinates of the part of the molicule in the .gro file
> (restart
> > file from the end of simulation) will tell you.
> > This means gromacs doesn't keep the whole molecule.
>
> I have never known mdrun to write a broken molecule, so I would suspect
> the
> visualization as well.

As I said I have already confirmed  with ngmx, and I can check
the .gro file (text file).

> > Would you let me know what simulation setup you need for the cheking?
> >
> > I used editconf to convert the .pdb file to .gro file.
>
> What .pdb structure?  Your statement above said you already had a .gro
> file.

I did the initial setup from pre-equilibrated pdb file.
Then the above (.gro) is the MD result.

> > Since the structure (.pdb) was pre-equilibrated one, I did setup box
> size
> > manually (not using editconf).
>
> Why not?  Using editconf should produce the appropriate box dimensions at
> the
> bottom of the output .gro file.

Since I have pre-equilibrated system, I don't want to waste time.
As you know If I make a large box, during the equilibration the system will
be distorted a lot.
To get the right system I need long long time equilibration.

However, my question is this.
Does this cause the image problem?
Even though I prepare the large BOX with "editconf", I see the same problem.

> -Justin
>
> > There were more than three float numbers at the bottom of .gro file.
> > I left only the first three, and replaced with the known box size.
> >
> > Is this enough for PBC simulation? (manually typing box size at the
> bottom
> > of .gro file)
> >

> > On Jan 15, 2008 10:13 AM, Alan Dodd <anoddlad at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'd suggest this is an issue with VMD rather than gromacs.  You have
> to be
> > > quite careful which .gro you use to provide the original structure,
> make
> > > sure it is actually the starting frame and not anything else - this is
> > > something I've seen cause this sort of problem before.
> > > Normally, of course, PBC settings in Gromacs keep molecules whole in
> the
> > > output file quite reliably, but not knowing how you've set your
> simulation
> > > up, I couldn't comment on that.  Using ngmx is a good way to check
> that
> > > Gromacs itself is doing what you think it is.

Best wishes,

MYUNGGI YI