[gmx-users] About g_msd (and noise)

Patrick Fuchs Patrick.Fuchs at ebgm.jussieu.fr
Wed Jan 16 13:45:25 CET 2008

Hi Alan,
see Fig 3 in the paper I was mentionning in my previous post
(http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.2393240); from the legend the authors say
'deviation from linearity at long times is due to poor statistics'. So
to answer your question, that's probably true, most papers just show the
beginning of the plot where the MSD is linear. As quoted before by
David, one has just to take care about fitting in the linear region
(with the -beginfit and -endfit flags).
Cheers,

Patrick

Alan Dodd a écrit :
> I've been playing with g_msd myself recently, and been seeing weird results toward the end of the simulation.  From the below post, it looks like I was doing it correctly (apart from analysing the leaflets separately).  Previous posts in the mailing list have implied that increased noise towards the end of a simulation is inherent in the algorithm, I just wanted to check that I was interpreting those posts correctly?  And if this is so, do people just not show the results towards the end?

>>> J. Chem. Phys. 115 (10), and U. Essmann and M. L. Berkowitz (1999) Biophys.
>>> J.