[gmx-users] error running gromacs usinh charmm force field

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Jan 17 13:48:18 CET 2008

sarbani chattopadhyay wrote:
>   hi,
>     I am trying to run gromacs using charmm force field.
>     I run the perl program convert_charmm_to_gromacs.pl on the charmm
> force field input
> file.
> the following 2 files were generated
>                                                       ffcharmmbon.itp
>                                                       ffcharmmnb.itp
> these were added to "/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top"  and GMXLIB
> path was set as
> "export GMXLIB=/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top"
>
> the 'pdb2gmx' command was run using the command:
> "pdb2gmx -f 1aoc-PPF.pdb -ff charmm -ignh -ter"
> but the following error message is coming
> "Library file ffcharmm.rtp not found in current dir nor in your GMXLIB
> path."

It might be necessary to update FF.dat to include the line "ffcharmm
  CHARMM 27"

You'll notice in the comments in my script that I point out that I'm not
supplying any topology files - particularly residue topology files such
as the missing .rtp causing your error. Unfortunately the link I
provided to a source that does include such an .rtp file was on the old
GROMACS webpage, and is no longer available -
http://www.gromacs.org/old/topologies/uploaded_force_fields/charmm_gromacs.tar
.gz

I have a copy of charmm_gromacs.tar.gz and am happy to mail this to
anyone who inquires off-list.