[gmx-users] energy minimization breaks freeze group apart

Patricia Francis-Lyon patflyon at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 30 01:13:52 CET 2008

My issue :
>> I want to do energy minimization on a loop that had been missing and was >>filled in by modloop, while freezing the rest of the protein. >> >> Before the minimization I have an SO4 ion and 135 water molecules from the >>crystallography around the protein. After the minimization the protein has >>been translated in the y direction away from the water and SO4.

Xavier Periole wrote:>You might want to solvate your system before minimization ... the>modeled loop might appreciate some solvent around!

Thanks Xavier, you were right! When I solvated before doing energy minimization
on the loop, the freeze group did not break apart.

Xavier Periole wrote:
>.Could that simply be the result of periodic boundary conditions?

I don't understand why the problem arose, why solvating before loop minimization
ameliorated it, and what it has to do with periodic boundary conditions. Could someone explain?

Also, I still have an issue with how Gromacs is building my system. when I run
editconf -f  $protName.gro  -o box.gro -d 1.2 -bt dodecahedron
Gromacs places the solute in the top corner of the box, rather than
centering it in the box. Shouldn't it be in the center? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Patricia