[gmx-users] NOE restraints and undefined hydrogen atoms, virtual interaction sites

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 31 22:00:45 CET 2008

> There's no a priori reason why a mixture of a united-atom detergent
> sodium dodecyl sulfate and an all-atom peptide *couldn't* work.
> Neither is there any reason to suppose they *would* work without
> evidence that the SDS parameters were developed with this purpose in
> mind and suitably validated. For that, you'll have to read the paper
> referred to on the page you footnoted [1], I guess. Your other
> alternative is looking for an all-atom SDS topology that has been
> validated, but I've no idea whether one exists.

Do you have any suggestions how one would validate the combination of
two such force-fields? While generally one could always develop new
parameters using the same methodology as the existing forcefield, it
is not obvious how one would do this when combining all-atom and
united-atom representations.

I see how the basic combination rules, etc. could be validated by
simulating for example an aqueous protein restrained to one half of
the simulation box and an SDS micelle restrained to the other half of
the box in order to ensure no vdw contacts and then compare
equilibrium properties from this simulation to those of an aqueous
protein and an SDS micelle in separate simulations.

Further, in some situations one could look at the parameters to see
the there are no striking differences between similar atom types. This
would definitely be useful for example when trying to combine an
all-atom protein forcefield with a united-atom forcefield. However,
SDS doesn't really have any groups that are similar to and protein
groups. Further, it is not readily apparent to me how one would even
extend a protein forcefield using the same methodology to SDS and be
sure based simply on methodology of generation that they were valid in
combination since there is so little overlap in actual group types.

Thanks,
Chris.