[gmx-users] ffamber and ions

Vigneshwar Ramakrishnan vmsrvignesh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 09:03:20 CEST 2008

hi Alan,

Can you show us your modified ions.itp file (just the Cl part) and the exact
command options you used for genion?
Thanks,
Vignesh
On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Alan <alanwilter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi List,
> To people using ffamber.
>
> I have ffamber with ions.itp modified to recognise ffamber ions. All seems
> fine and working.
>
> So, I have a protein, net charge +4 e. In the pdb file there no ions and no
> water. I modify the pdb as said in ffamber instructions. All fine.
> Then, I add water and hence I use genion to neutralise my system. I add 4
> Cl. All fine.
>
> However when using grompp for preparing the inputs for a minimisation, I
> got a warning saying that my system is now +8 e. It happens no matter what
> ion I use with ffamber (being it pos or neg, or value 2). It's like if
> genion were counting only the ions and not reading the ion's charge value.
>
> I know it's reading my modified ions.itp file because otherwise genion will
> fail to process.
>
> Has someone else seen that? Any comments?
>
> Despite this, I can minimise and carry on MD on my system. Is there any
> other to definitely know if GMX is computing the right charge values?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> Cheers,
> Alan
>
> --
> Alan Wilter S. da Silva, D.Sc. - CCPN Research Associate
> Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge.
> 80 Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1GA, UK.
> >>http://www.bio.cam.ac.uk/~awd28<<

R.Vigneshwar
Graduate Student,
Dept. of Chemical & Biomolecular Engg,
National University of Singapore,
Singapore

"Strive for Excellence, Never be satisfied with the second Best!!"

"The rewards of sincere resolves are highs money can never buy!"