[gmx-users] Re: ffamber and ions

Alan alanwilter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 11:50:54 CEST 2008

So, as requested:

for ions.spc I got info from http://www.somewhereville.com/?p=114

In attach files you may need to reproduce what I am doing here. Assuming you
have ffamber installed and GMX 3.3.
Copy ions.itp and tip3p.itp to your _gromacs_/top/ folder.

tip3p.itp was modified by me.

I use Mac OSX 10.4.11 intel with Fink

My commands based on 1BVG.pdb (you can get it at www.pdb.org):

grep 'ATOM  ' 1BVG.pdb>| Protein.pdb

sed s/PRO\ A\ \ \ 1/NPROA\ \ \ 1/g Protein.pdb | sed s/PRO\ B\ \ \ 1/NPROB\
\ \ 1/g \

| sed s/PHE\ A\ \ 99/CPHEA\ \ 99/g | sed s/PHE\ B\ \ 99/CPHEB\ \ 99/g \

| sed s/O\ \ \ CPHE/OC1\ CPHE/g | sed s/OXT\ CPHE/OC2\ CPHE/g \

| sed s/HIS\ /HID\ /g | sed s/LYS\ /LYP\ /g | sed s/CYS\ /CYN\ /g >|
ProteinAmber.pdb

pdb2gmx -ff amber99 -f ProteinAmber.pdb -o Protein2.pdb -p Protein.top
-water tip3p

editconf -bt triclinic -f Protein2.pdb -o Protein2.pdb -d 1.0

genbox -cp Protein2.pdb -cs ffamber_tip3p.gro -o Protein_b4ion.pdb -p
Protein.top

grompp -f em.mdp -c Protein_b4ion.pdb -p Protein.top -o Protein_b4ion.tpr

echo 13 | genion -s Protein_b4ion.tpr -o Protein_b4em.pdb -nname Cl -nn 4
-norandom

sed s/7274/7270/ Protein.top > temp; echo "Cl  4" >> temp; \mv temp
Protein.top

grompp -f em.mdp -c Protein_b4em.pdb -p Protein.top -o em.tpr # total
charge: 8.000000e+00 !!!!

mdrun -v -deffnm em

Many thanks for your attention.
Cheers,
Alan

Can you show us your modified ions.itp file (just the Cl part) and the exact
command options you used for genion?
Thanks,
Vignesh