[gmx-users] simulating two peptides in a box

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jul 7 20:58:21 CEST 2008

kartik mehra wrote:

> Dear Justin,
>
> 1. They are the same protein ( 2 copies of the same protein)

OK, that makes life a little easier :-)

> 2. The order in the .gro file seems fine... Basically it lists the
> co-ordinates of a single copy of  peptide and then the solvent
> molecule ... I presume since the .top file has 4 copies of the same
> molecule, this is how the .gro file should look ?

That's the problem.  Everything that's in the .top file must be in the
.gro file.  Therefore, if you have 4 copies of your protein, you *must*
provide the coordinates for four copies of the protein in the .gro
file.  Otherwise, how does mdrun know where they are to do any
calculations?

> 3. Also is there an easier way of dealing with the modification of
> number of solvent molecules ( since the co-ordinates involve a factor
> of 3 arising out of the description of SPC atoms ... )

When you run genbox, use the -p flag, giving the name of your topology
file.  It will modify the [ molecules ] section to add the number of
water molecules it placed in your system.  Otherwise, genbox prints out
how many water molecules it added, and you can type them in yourself.
Not terribly laborious, either way, really.

-Justin

> [...]
>         #      BONDS:   17626
>         #   G96BONDS:   716
>         #     ANGLES:   8813
>         #  G96ANGLES:   1040
>         #      PDIHS:   372
>         #      IDIHS:   320
>         #       LJ14:   1104
>         initialising group options...
>         processing index file...
>         Analysing residue names:
>         Opening library file
>         /usr/local/gromacs/3.3.1/64/gnu/ib/share/gromacs/top/aminoacids.dat
>         There are:  8813      OTHER residues
>         There are:    68    PROTEIN residues
>         There are:     0        DNA residues
>         Analysing Protein...
>         Analysing Other...
>         Making dummy/rest group for T-Coupling containing 27151 elements
>         Making dummy/rest group for Acceleration containing 27151 elements
>         Making dummy/rest group for Freeze containing 27151 elements
>         Making dummy/rest group for Energy Mon. containing 27151 elements
>         Making dummy/rest group for VCM containing 27151 elements
>         Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group rest is 81450.00
>         Making dummy/rest group for User1 containing 27151 elements
>         Making dummy/rest group for User2 containing 27151 elements
>         Making dummy/rest group for XTC containing 27151 elements
>         Making dummy/rest group for Or. Res. Fit containing 27151 elements
>         Making dummy/rest group for QMMM containing 27151 elements
>         T-Coupling       has 1 element(s): rest
>         Energy Mon.      has 1 element(s): rest
>         Acceleration     has 1 element(s): rest
>         Freeze           has 1 element(s): rest
>         User1            has 1 element(s): rest
>         User2            has 1 element(s): rest
>         VCM              has 1 element(s): rest
>         XTC              has 1 element(s): rest
>         Or. Res. Fit     has 1 element(s): rest
>         QMMM             has 1 element(s): rest
>         Checking consistency between energy and charge groups...
>         Calculating fourier grid dimensions for X Y Z
>         Using a fourier grid of 60x60x60, spacing 0.118 0.118 0.118
>         writing run input file...
>
>         Back Off! I just backed up nt17_em.tpr to ./#nt17_em.tpr.4#
>         There was 1 warning*
>
>         Any suggestions would be appreciated .. Also I do believe that
>         the order might be a problem..but isnt an inclusion of the no
>         .of molecules meant to take care of that ?
>
>         Thanks
>

>     OK, that's clear now.  What's happening is that grompp is finding
>     water molecules where it should be finding protein.  Including a
>     "number of protein molecules" does not automatically fix anything,
>     necessarily.  Again, I ask, are your proteins the same?
>
>     If they are different, you will need to have a mechanism something
>     like:
>
>     #include "Protein_A.itp"
>     #include "Protein_B.itp"
>
>     #include "spc.itp"
>
>     #include "ions.itp"
>
>     to get the desired behavior.
>
>     Bottom line - check the order of the molecules in your .gro file,
>     you'll likely find that the order is not the same as the topology

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080