[gmx-users] Partial charges QM to GROMACS

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jul 11 16:13:28 CEST 2008

Parameterization under Gromos usually involves empirical derivation of physical
parameters, and free energy calculations using thermodynamic integration.  If
you use QM as a start, be prepared to refine your charges a lot until you
replicate experimentally-observed behavior.  Nonpolar groups are usually given
zero charge anyway, because of the use of charge groups (another problem with
starting from QM).  Another idea for Gromos parameters would be to use PRODRG
beta to give you an initial topology, but be prepared to make some refinements
to the charges and charge groups there too!

I think you would benefit from reading the original papers about Gromos force
field derivation.  Some links are available on the Gromacs wiki site.

-Justin