[gmx-users] box size changing during isotropic pressure coupling

Chris Neale chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Fri Jul 18 19:54:19 CEST 2008

Hello,

I have a system of 750,000 atoms consisting of detergent in water.
Although this run has been carried out using isotropic pressure
coupling, I see significant drift in the box dimensions over 150 ns.
This run was carried out using gromacs version 3.3 and 3.3.1. I used the
-shuffle and -sort options and an in-house g_desort. This means that my
restarts are via grompp, not tpbconv, although I do use the .trr and
.edr with gen_vel=no and unconstrained-start=yes for a proper restart.

My system is rectangular, starting with an x=y!=z and a=b=c=90. When I
view the .xtc file, it is clear that the system is shrinking in the x/y
and growing in the z. However, while turning on PBC images it looks like
a totally normal simulation in that there is no net drift or anything
else obviously problematic.

I have posted some images here
http://www.pomeslab.com/CN_GromacsPost_071808.html that show the box
dimensions over time and also the total volume. The initial rapid volume
change, and its asymptotic continuation, is an aggregation effect and is
expected. Other than this, the volume is generally stable to the changes
in the box lengths along single dimensions. I can not explain any of the
features of the individual x/y/z plots, nor can I explain why they level
out, why y levels out before x and z, or guess if this will continue to
stay (relatively) flat.

I am interested to know if anybody else has experienced this. Also, it
seems to me like this is simply an output format thing and will not
cause problems unless the x/y shrinks so much that cutoff effects cause
me problems.

my .mdp file follows.

title               =  seriousMD
cpp                 =  cpp