[gmx-users] Question about Berendsen thermostat and Nose-Hoover temp coupling

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 22 03:35:17 CEST 2008

Hi Justin,

I wonder if you could expand upon the following statement, or perhaps
offer some links or references.

"Some argument can be made that N-H is more applicable to membrane
simulations."

I am interested because I use a Berendsen thermostat for membrane
simulations. To be entirely honest, I have no particular understanding
of the consequence of this choice beyond the oft-heard statement that
Berendsen T-coupling doesn't yield the correct ensemble. But it is
very intuitive and, as you say, it's usage is quite common and I have
thus far relied on these points to guide my choice of
temperature-coupling algorithm. Therefore I am hoping to take
advantage of this opportunity to learn a bit more about temperature
coupling as you seem to understand it quite well.

I am hoping that you can outline the logic underlying the 'correct
ensemble' statement and indicate how this is especially applicable to
membrane simulations.

I do realize that this is a large request on this type of mailing
list. Please feel free to decline.

Much obliged,
Chris.