[gmx-users] Question about Berendsen thermostat and Nose-Hoover temp coupling

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jul 22 05:46:00 CEST 2008

Chris,

I too rely heavily on the Berendsen methods for T- and P-coupling, and have
always found them satisfactory.  I have not seen much beyond the casual
references to the fact that N-H T-coupling and Parrinello-Rahman P-coupling are
superior in terms of membrane simulations.  I have tried both, and have found
both setups to be equally reasonable in their results.  It seems, overall, that
Nose-Hoover schemes are often applied using NAMD and CHARMM software.  I don't
know if this choice is motivated by the software, or the force fields used.

There are a few casual references to Berendsen being less than optimal in the
literature and in archived presentation materials (which I can probably unearth
if I can recall my Googling :).

Based on experience, I too would agree that Berendsen suffices, and only made
mention of the N-H argument as a talking point, something that others have argued.

If I come across any of these references again, I will be sure to post them to
the list to continue the discussion.

-Justin

chris.neale at utoronto.ca wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> I wonder if you could expand upon the following statement, or perhaps
> offer some links or references.
>
> "Some argument can be made that N-H is more applicable to membrane
> simulations."
>
> I am interested because I use a Berendsen thermostat for membrane
> simulations. To be entirely honest, I have no particular understanding
> of the consequence of this choice beyond the oft-heard statement that
> Berendsen T-coupling doesn't yield the correct ensemble. But it is very
> intuitive and, as you say, it's usage is quite common and I have thus
> far relied on these points to guide my choice of temperature-coupling
> algorithm. Therefore I am hoping to take advantage of this opportunity
> to learn a bit more about temperature coupling as you seem to understand
> it quite well.
>
> I am hoping that you can outline the logic underlying the 'correct
> ensemble' statement and indicate how this is especially applicable to
> membrane simulations.
>
> I do realize that this is a large request on this type of mailing list.
> Please feel free to decline.
>
> Much obliged,
> Chris.

Justin A. Lemkul