[gmx-users] cooling the system "NVT" ensemble

JMandumpal jesbman at rediffmail.com
Wed Jul 30 10:55:15 CEST 2008

Dear GROMACS users,

A method to locate  glass transtion temperature of liquids is reported by Stanley et al, PRL 2004, 93, pp 047801: system is cooled initially and then is heated , in the range 0K-400K, in a "modified" NVT ensemble. (Total energies of the system with respect to temp. is plotted, a kink in the plot is refered to the glass transition)

In a standard NVT simulation, To is constant. In this method, the Berendsen thermostat is used but, at everytime step, the bath temperature To is updated such that
To(t)= To(t=0) + deltaT, with deltaT= cooling/heating *  timestep.
This is done at every time step before rescaling the velocities.

Now, I would like to know how can I 'impliment' this in a GROMACS version; I mean where should I modify the code? Or is there any other way to achieve this without modifying the code?

Is it /usr/local/gromacs/src/mdlib/tgroup.c ?

Thanks for your help,
Jes