[gmx-users] bicelle gromacs MD simulation CG model?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jun 13 12:55:38 CEST 2008

ANINDITA GAYEN wrote:
> You can find my paper on Langmuir vol 24, Issue 10, pages 5422-5432 2008, I have made two bicelle samples experimentally, and now i want to model those two bicelles theorically to connect the theory with the NMR experimental data. I have euilibrated a dmpc bilayer in OPLS-BERGER force field already, but confused about the incorporation of chaps since it is not a bilayer component. I have 128 lipid square bilayer. Is it possible to model such a bilayer that will have chaps at the edge from this force field or may i use the coarse grain model to build it? can you suggest anything?

Conceivably, you could do either, as long as the parameters you derive
are with are consistent with the original force field.  It won't be
easy; the structure of CHAPS has some odd functional groups to deal
with, so I don't know that the existing Berger lipid parameters will be
applicable, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be extended to include
your molecule.  As for a CG model, there are also some challenges there,
as well.  There is a CG topology for cholesterol online, which could
serve as a starting framework for CHAPS, but applying the appropriate
particles to the rest of the molecule (quaternary amine, sulfate) would
require thorough evaluation of the atom types available in MARTINI.

-Justin