[gmx-users] Specified frame doesn't exist or file not seekable

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sun Jun 15 16:01:54 CEST 2008

sudheer babu wrote:
> Hi all,
>        I am having 7.25ns trajectory file , I am trying to pick up
> 6250ps to 7250 ps  trajectory file from whole trajectory by using trjconv,
> Command line is
>     *trjconv  -f  7.25ns.xtc  -s  pr.tpr  -o 6.25_7.25_out.trr  -b
> 6250  -e  7250
>      selected  " system " for getting output
>  it showed the following error
> Program trjconv, VERSION 3.3.1
> Source code file: trxio.c, line: 635
>
> Fatal error:
> Specified frame doesn't exist or file not seekable

That sounds pretty specific to me. What's your evidence that the file is
seekable and these frames exist?

Check that your .mdp file options should have caused XTC output to be
written in this time. Then look at a gmxdump of this .trr file.

It's not relevant to the problem, but there's almost no value in writing
XTC input in .trr format on output.

>  I have found few discussions in gmx-archives regarding this problem and
> due to BUG in source code its showing error.

That's great, but some person donating their time is not going to bother
re-doing this search to find what you're referring to. If you want
people to give you feedback on the applicability of these bug
discussions to your problem, you should provide them with a link. If
you've searched the archives from the GROMACS webpage, be sure to
provide a link to the correct HTML frame (e.g. by right-clicking on it
and choosing from the menu), and check that the resulting URL does what
you expect.