[gmx-users] Possible issues with CVS pull code 200800508

Bjørn Steen Sæthre st01397 at student.uib.no
Thu Jun 19 13:49:25 CEST 2008

Dear Berk (and whoever else might provide assistance)
I have included also my topology file topol.tpr at

http://drop.io/gmxpull/topol.tpr.

 From this you can clearly see that there is no pressure coupling in my
pulled system.
I still have not resolved the issue of the fluctuation artefacts.
Berk, you state that the position should not fluctuate. To that I can
add that the relative position between the pull group and the
reference stays very nearly constant. However, the absolute movement
along the z-coordinate of the entire system in the box becomes all too
large, but not large enough to impinge upon the walls during
simulation. This large absolute movement of the pull group can be
clearly seen in the file

http://drop.io/gmxpull/pullcoord.xvg

However, this output is also slightly misleading in that the
fluctuations as found in the trajectory are not nearly as large as
those found in the above file. I seriously doubt if this discrepancy
is solely due to aliasing by differing sampling frequencies in the
trajectory frame output vs the pull-code output.

You stated that neither altering time-step or the constraint-strength
would change the situation. Then I guess the only thing remaining
would be the geometry of the system.

I wish to maintain roughly the same number of atoms.
Do you think it might be an idea to adopt a thinner slab-geometry.
That is increase the area of contact between the slabs, while reducing
the slab thickness in the direction of pull? What effects do you
expect from this alteration?

I appreciate clarification from anyone competent in these matter.

Thank you