[gmx-users] Re: warning mesgs

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jun 30 12:45:45 CEST 2008

It would be helpful if all of this was on one thread, with replies
embedded.  I have sent several replies to your questions, all of which
have gone unacknowledged.  It makes it very difficult for anyone (myself
or someone else) to give advice if we don't know what you're doing or
what you've tried.  Even if something didn't work based on what I, or
anyone else, tells you, it is nice to know that "I tried this, but I
still have a problem, which is shown here: (exact error/warning/problem)."

As I've said before, exact procedural details of what you've done are
essential for sorting out strange problems like this.  This means -
*exact* (copy and paste) command lines from pdb2gmx, and any error
messages you receive.  Also, any manipulations you have made to your
input .pdb file.  It seems to me that you've probably edited your file
to have only one chain identifier, and hence why pdb2gmx is trying to
make everything one molecule.

The -merge option of pdb2gmx is what you want (see pdb2gmx -h).  If the
following command line doesn't work, it would be nice to see an exact
reason (i.e., copy/paste from the error/warning/whatever):

pdb2gmx -f (input).pdb -ignh -ter -merge

I got the above to work perfectly on an insulin structure I found in the
RCSB (1ZNI), after deleting chains C and D from the .pdb file.  If your
structure continues to give you headaches, try this one to make sure
that your Gromacs installation is working properly (something I inquired
about several days ago...)

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant