[gmx-users] configure error (lam-mpi installation)

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 19 12:14:10 CET 2008

Andreas Kring wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have tried to search the mailing archives and the FAQ, but I could not
> find an answer, so here goes...

This is not surprising, since your problem is with configuring LAM, not
GROMACS. Actually, the reason for your problem not dependent on the
software you're trying to configure.

> I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 and the latest gcc compiler in this distro is
> gcc-4.1.2. Being aware of the warning that the gcc-4.1.x compilers are
> broken, I installed gcc-4.3.0 using the usual configure; make; make
> install procedure. Hence, the 4.3.0 compiler is now installed in
> /usr/local.
>
> But when I try to install lam-mpi, I get the following error when
> running the configure script (with the command below) from the top
> lam-mpi source directory:
>
> $./configure CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc CPP=/usr/local/bin/cpp
> CXX=/usr/local/bin/g++ CXXLDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"
> LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include"
> CXXCPP="-I/usr/local/include"

The contents of the last flag here needs to be the name of the
pre-processor for the C++ compiler, not a duplicate of the flags to pass
to that pre-processor.

If you'd upgraded your gcc using apt-get(or whatever Ubuntu uses for
automatic package upgrades) then the system gcc would be the right one
to use, and you would not have to worry about such stuff every time you
want to compile with gcc-4.3.0