[gmx-users] Building simple alcohol topologies

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri May 2 01:42:04 CEST 2008

Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I've been trying to find all-atom topologies and atom coordinates for
> 1-alcohols (from ethanol to 1-decanol, possibly also n-alcohols) to be
> used in MD simulations for electronic structure calculations. However I
> haven't found any, also I haven't found any guides on how to construct
> such files.

Your first order of business is to identify a suitable force field
http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Force_Fields - probably any of them
will do for n-alcohols. Then you would like some automated tool to build
your topologies. The pdb2gmx utility in GROMACS is not suited to your
task. Perhaps the AMBER LeAP utility is closer to your needs - but it
does require the use of AMBER force fields, which will be OK for you.
You will also need to generate your initial structures with atoms
suitably named - LeAP will also help there.