[gmx-users] .itp file for polymer

David Huang dmhuang at gmail.com
Tue May 13 23:06:59 CEST 2008

hi

i'm new to gromacs and am trying to construct an initial configuration
for a system of polymer chains. i've looked through previous posts to
the mailing list (such as the one attached below) and read chapter 5
of the gromacs manual and the wiki, but it is still not clear to me
how to construct the .pdb file of the polymer chain to be used as
input for pdb2gmx to produce the .top file of the chain.

all of the gromacs examples i've found for .pdb files of proteins have
the polypeptides defined atomistically, rather than in terms of
monomers (amino acids). but i presume that defining the monomer
topology in the .rtp and .tdb files should allow the topology of the
polymer to be defined in terms of monomer units or at least in terms
of the coordinates of the backbone atoms. is this correct?

does anyone have an example of a .pdb file of a polymer that is
defined in terms monomer units rather than atoms?

thanks
david