[gmx-users] .itp file for polymer

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed May 14 05:50:09 CEST 2008

David Huang wrote:
> hi
>
> i'm new to gromacs and am trying to construct an initial configuration
> for a system of polymer chains. i've looked through previous posts to
> the mailing list (such as the one attached below) and read chapter 5
> of the gromacs manual and the wiki, but it is still not clear to me
> how to construct the .pdb file of the polymer chain to be used as
> input for pdb2gmx to produce the .top file of the chain.
>
> all of the gromacs examples i've found for .pdb files of proteins have
> the polypeptides defined atomistically, rather than in terms of
> monomers (amino acids). but i presume that defining the monomer
> topology in the .rtp and .tdb files should allow the topology of the
> polymer to be defined in terms of monomer units or at least in terms
> of the coordinates of the backbone atoms. is this correct?

GROMACS is not set up to do general model-building tasks for you, beyond
the limited functionality provided by the .tdb and .hdb files.
Generating a structure from monomers is thus not a task it will do.
Since you'll need a starting structure anyway, it is not such a great
task to need one before you build your topology, if you want to use
pdb2gmx. As I said last time, if you don't want to use pdb2gmx then you
can build your .top file by hand and use whatever tools you like for
building your initial structure.