[gmx-users] Energy minimisation problem

Jussi Lehtola jussi.lehtola at helsinki.fi
Wed May 14 05:27:45 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 20:32 +0300, Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 14:34 +0100, Kukol, Andreas wrote:
> > First try the EM/MD of 1 molecule in vacuum ('ethanol-gas') and check, if it looks reasonable.
> >
> Thanks, using the vacuum method I seem to get better results.

It seems I spoke too soon. Energy minimising the one-particle structure
in vacuum gives me the following potential energies:

methanol	21.4
ethanol		9.4
propanol	3.8
butanol		4.1
pentanol	12.2
hexanol		81.0

All minimizations have converged with Fmax < 1e-3. Are these energies
reasonable? The energies of methanol and hexanol are somewhat high.

Energy minimisation with a system of 4913 methanol molecules with
initial density of 500 kg/m^3 and periodic boundary conditions gives as
potential energy Epot = -1.67e5, however the forces do not converge.
Running the system with Berendsen pressure and temperature thermostats
(p = 1 bar, T = 300 K) results in a crash after 82 ps. The total energy
is positive and of the order 1e5.
Jussi Lehtola, FM, Tohtorikoulutettava
Fysiikan laitos, Helsingin Yliopisto
jussi.lehtola at helsinki.fi, p. 191 50673
Mr. Jussi Lehtola, M. Sc., Doctoral Student
Department of Physics, University of Helsinki, Finland
jussi.lehtola at helsinki.fi