[gmx-users] Max #atoms in a charge group: 68 > 64

Samuel Coulbourn Flores 花山 scflores at stanford.edu
Mon May 26 09:33:36 CEST 2008

Hi Guys,

Thanks for past help received on this list.

I am having a problem which I hope I can get some insight on.  I am
trying to simulate Adenylate Kinase binding substrate analog AP5A
(from Shapiro et al).  The problem is that this ligand (which is
basically two Adenosines chained together with five phosphates) is a
little on the large side, with 68 atoms.  I get the following error on
trying to run genion:

Max #atoms in a charge group: 68 > 64

Can someone explain  to me how the ligand is different from the
protein (which certainly has more than 64 atoms!)?  Is the protein not
considered a charge group?  Can I somehow tell gromacs not treat the
ligand as something other than a charge group?  Alternatively, can I
increase the max # atoms in a charge group?  I'm happy to let it run a
little more slowly if that's the only consequence.

Many thanks

Sam

Samuel Coulbourn Flores
Altman Lab