[gmx-users] Max #atoms in a charge group: 68 > 64

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon May 26 10:16:41 CEST 2008

Samuel Coulbourn Flores 花山 wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for past help received on this list.
>
> I am having a problem which I hope I can get some insight on.  I am
> trying to simulate Adenylate Kinase binding substrate analog AP5A (from
> Shapiro et al).  The problem is that this ligand (which is basically two
> Adenosines chained together with five phosphates) is a little on the
> large side, with 68 atoms.  I get the following error on trying to run
> genion:
>
> Max #atoms in a charge group: 68 > 64
>
> Can someone explain  to me how the ligand is different from the protein
> (which certainly has more than 64 atoms!)?  Is the protein not
> considered a charge group?  Can I somehow tell gromacs not treat the
> ligand as something other than a charge group?  Alternatively, can I
> increase the max # atoms in a charge group?  I'm happy to let it run a
> little more slowly if that's the only consequence.

Look for "charge groups" in the GROMACS manual. Ideally for MD, a
molecule will have small groups of atoms whose total partial charge is
zero, and which can be lumped together in some non-bonded calculations.
"Small" will normally be a lot less than 64, hence the constraint in
genion. So probably you should go back to your .top/.itp file and have a
look at the [atoms] section and how the charge groups are working (see
table 5.3 of the manual).