[gmx-users] a problem about the minimization

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon May 26 16:42:44 CEST 2008

zhuliang at tju.edu.cn wrote:
> Hi all:
>    When I performed a steepest minimization, a problem occured and the error
> message pasted here:
> "  Steepest Descents:
>    Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+04
>    Number of steps    =       100000
> Step=   13, Dmax= 1.2e-06 nm, Epot=          nan Fmax= 4.96310e+14, atom= 2191
> Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.
> Converged to machine precision,
> but not to the requested precision Fmax < 10000 "
>
> Double precision normally gives you higher accuracy
>
> I have changed the emstep, but the same error message occured again. can you give
> me some advise to deal with it. Thank you in advance!

A "nan" potential energy and a massive positive maximum force indicate
that your system is badly broken. Varying the size of the EM step, or
the number of steps won't help this. Check your starting structure, your
topology, any warnings from grompp. Visualize the structure, and or the
minimization trajectory to see where things are falling apart.