[gmx-users] Atom names mismatch

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri May 30 10:20:09 CEST 2008

George Abadir wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I built the molecule using PYMOL, then used
> pdb2gmx to generate the topology. It seems that pdb2gmx reorders the
> atoms. Then in the simulation I used the initial PDB file generated by
> PYMOL.

Right. Don't do this. For input to grompp and/or other GROMACS tools,
use the structure that pdb2gmx writes out, since that is now consistent
with the re-ordering in the topology. This will immediately solve the
issue for the future. In future, generate your topologies interactively,
and check for warnings, etc before running simulations.

You can partly validate, or possibly totally invalidate the old
simulations by doing a quick repeat calculation with a correct match of
topology and starting structure. If valid, the logfile energy numbers
should remain identical for several picoseconds. If not valid, they'll
diverge in that time.