[gmx-users] Problems with grompp and posre.itp in gromacs 4.0

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 5 16:11:03 CET 2008

Nuno Azoia wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 07:57 -0500, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>> Please remember to keep all correspondence on the list for archiving purposes.
>> Also, others out there may have information to contribute.
>
> Sorry about that. I just press Reply and I didn't check the e-mail
> address.
>
> I've solved the problem with your help.
>
> I've tried what you have told me but I get the same error message.
> Calling an .itp file within a .itp file always works with me (in version
> 3.3.1), but it makes more sense the way you describe, declaring
> everything in the .top file.
>
> The problem seems to be the posre.itp file itself. Even with the 3 files
> I've told you (posre_A.itp, posre_B.itp and posre_C.itp), grompp needs a
> posre.itp file. So the solution was to create a empty posre.itp file.
> Now it's clear to me that my first option (see below the description of
> the first posre.itp file I've created) makes no sense because by that
> way I was calling each posre_*.itp file twice: once in the .top file and
> the other in posre.itp file. Grommp was reading the posre.itp file
> first, without any reference to any molecule, and it just don't work.

Well, I'm glad it worked, but having to create an empty posre.itp file sounds a
bit nonsensical to me.  Maybe the developers can help us out - has something
within grompp changed that makes a posre.itp file explicitly necessary?

-Justin

> Thank you very much!
>
> Nuno Azoia
>
>> Nuno Azoia wrote:
>>> Hi Justin. Tank you for your answer!
>>>
>>> Ok! I agree with you, and I'm doing something wrong. I just can
>>> understand what. Can you please help me a little more.
>>>
>>> In my .top file I have this lines

>>> ; Include chain topologies
>>> #include "krt_spd_C.itp"
>>> #include "krt_spd_A.itp"
>>> #include "krt_spd_B.itp
>>>

>> That should be fine.
>>

>>> The krt_spd_C.itp is the topology of a peptide with 244 atoms.
>>> krt_spd_A.itp and krt_spd_B.itp are peptides with 435 and 418 atoms,
>>> respectively. In the last line of each .itp file I have something like