[gmx-users] Running MD only for selected part of molecule

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Oct 14 13:25:11 CEST 2008

vivek sharma wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I tried the mdrun by keeping a group of residue position restrained, and
> it is working well (verified by comparing RMSD plot for the same),
> thanks for your suggestions regarding the same.
> But, I have seen that the part of the molecule I kept for PR is still
> having some motion, how can I keep that part rigid ?

Position restraints do not necessarily guarantee that atomic positions stay
absolutely fixed.  Instead, there is an energy penalty for moving them, which
could in some cases be overcome.

> I am not getting any idea of energy_excl option mentioned above, please
> explain.

The freezegrps option can be used to fix atomic positions, but in this case
large forces can be generated within the frozen group.  As such, you can apply
energygrp_excl to exclude energetic terms within the frozen group.

-Justin

> With Thanks,
> Vivek
>
> 2008/10/12 Erik Lindahl <lindahl at cbr.su.se <mailto:lindahl at cbr.su.se>>
>
>     Hi,
>

>     On Oct 10, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>

>             I want to run MD over a part of my molecule , for few
>             residues only (not the whole molecule).
>             Can I do it using GROMACS ?
>             I searched for the online documentation and mailing list,
>             but unable to get appropriate information.
>             If somebody has already tried such things earlier, please
>             suggest and direct me for appropriate link and address.
>

>         Well, if your goal is to keep certain parts fixed and allow
>         others to move, probably the easiest way to do it is to apply
>         position restraints to the "fixed" part.
>

>     You can also set parts of the system as a freeze group, in which
>     case you can exclude all nonbonded interactions inside the freeze
>     group with the energygrp_excl option in your mdp file.
>
>     The main advantage of this is of course that you will improve
>     performance if 99% of your system is frozen (although all
>     interactions between the frozen and non-frozen parts still have to
>     be calculated). On the other hand, completely freezing part of the
>     system is not very realistic, and you're likely to get strange
>     behavior in the interface...
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Erik

>     posting!
>     Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use thewww
>
>     Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080