[gmx-users] DFLEXIBLE parameter

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Fri Oct 31 05:26:30 CET 2008

define = -DFLEXIBLE will affect your run most definitely. Exactly how
it will affect your run is, to my knowledge, not yet published. The
common assumption is that it does not matter at all when you are
interested in the solute, which most of us are. To include this
parameter is to allow the O-H bond in many water models to vibrate, as
opposed to being constrained to a constant equilibrium distance.
However, most users desire a computationally faster run utilizing
constraints = all-bonds and a timestep of 2 fs, or constraints =
h-bonds and a timestep of 1 fs, versus constraints = none and define =
-DFLEXIBLE that requires a timestep of 0.5 fs.

Note that it does not appear to affect all water models (e.g. tip5p)

The 4.0 manual makes an interesting argument that all bond vibrations
are very much quantum characteristics and are thus equally well
represented by a constraint as they are by a harmonic restraint.

That's a rambling response, I know, but you need to focus your
question more tightly or include more relevant information if you want
something more direct for an answer.

Chris.