[gmx-users] Re: Re[2]: Using Morse potentials with ENCAD force field

Andy Shelley robert.shelley at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 16:49:18 CEST 2008

I have been able to get the molecules to become more homogenous. The problem
was I wasn't running the system long enough.  I looked at the energy of the
system though and am getting very large fluctuations. The system was ran
with the initial temperature set at 300K by setting inital velocities, but
the average temperature is very high and fluctuates alot. Here is what
g_energy outputs for temperature, pressure, and total energy.  Any ideas on
how to keep the fluctuations down.

Statistics over 220001 steps [ 0.0000 thru 110.0000 ps ], 3 data sets

Energy                      Average       RMSD     Fluct.      Drift
Tot-Drift
Total Energy             4.20431e+15 6.35463e+14 6.15468e+14 4.98049e+12
5.47857e+14
Temperature              5.62218e+13 8.49769e+12 8.23031e+12 6.66013e+10
7.32618e+12
Pressure (bar)           6.10308e+12 9.22454e+11 8.93429e+11 7.2298e+09
7.95282e+11
Heat Capacity Cv:      12.9143 J/mol K (factor = 0.022845)

; RUN CONTROL PARAMETERS
integrator               = md
; Start time and timestep in ps
tinit                    = 0
dt                       = 0.0005
nsteps                   = 2000000
; For exact run continuation or redoing part of a run
init_step                = 0
; mode for center of mass motion removal
comm-mode                = Angular
; number of steps for center of mass motion removal
nstcomm                  = 1
; group(s) for center of mass motion removal
comm-grps                = UNK

; GENERATE VELOCITIES FOR STARTUP RUN
gen_vel                  = yes
gen_temp                 = 300