[gmx-users] Implicit solvent & PBC

Xavier Periole X.Periole at rug.nl
Fri Sep 19 17:03:08 CEST 2008

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:49:45 +0200
  Berk Hess <gmx3 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> From: X.Periole at rug.nl
>> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Implicit solvent & PBC
>> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
>> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:42:15 +0200
>>
>> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:00:18 +0200
>>   Berk Hess <gmx3 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > The same as in normal simulations.
>> > I always use PME and PBC in my implicit solvent simulations.
>> then -
>> PME: treament of long range electrostatic interactions in implicit solvent?
>> PBC: simulate infinite dilution again in implicit solvent?
>>
>> I really do not see the point!
>
> I have for instance systems with ions in implicit solvent.
> Since ions have long range electrostatic interactions, you need
> PME (and PBC).
Then of course. I actually thought that might be your case. Is it
actually worth? Are they behaving reasonably, not sticking to anything
they meet? How did you parameterize these funny ones?
> Because it is implicit solvent you need to use the appropriate epsilon_r.
>
> I don't see what PBC has to do with infinite dilution.
That is the original idea of using PBC: simulate a molecule in a box of
solvent that would not have boundaries=infinite dilution. The concept has
derived towards "periodic systems" but it is not supposed to be. This is
why I generally do not use PME.

> Berk
>
>> Tsjerk might have a point with crystal packing ...
>> >
>> > Berk

>>condition.
>>implicit

>>posting!

>> > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE!
>> > http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

XAvier Periole - PhD

Molecular Dynamics Group / NMR and Computation
University of Groningen
The Netherlands