[gmx-users] Implicit solvent & PBC

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 19 17:25:41 CEST 2008

> From: X.Periole at rug.nl
> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Implicit solvent & PBC
> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:03:08 +0200
>
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:49:45 +0200
>   Berk Hess <gmx3 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> From: X.Periole at rug.nl
> >> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Implicit solvent & PBC
> >> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
> >> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:42:15 +0200

> >> then -
> >> PME: treament of long range electrostatic interactions in implicit solvent?
> >> PBC: simulate infinite dilution again in implicit solvent?
> >>
> >> I really do not see the point!
> >
> > I have for instance systems with ions in implicit solvent.
> > Since ions have long range electrostatic interactions, you need
> > PME (and PBC).
> Then of course. I actually thought that might be your case. Is it
> actually worth? Are they behaving reasonably, not sticking to anything
> they meet? How did you parameterize these funny ones?

If you do everything systematically and correct it does (nearly) exactly what
an all-atom simulation does, see:

   B. Hess, C. Holm and N. van der Vegt

  Modeling Multibody Effects in Ionic Solutions with a Concentration Dependent Dielectric Permittivity

   Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 147801 (2006)
http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.96.147801

> > Because it is implicit solvent you need to use the appropriate epsilon_r.
> >
> > I don't see what PBC has to do with infinite dilution.
> That is the original idea of using PBC: simulate a molecule in a box of
> solvent that would not have boundaries=infinite dilution. The concept has
> derived towards "periodic systems" but it is not supposed to be. This is
> why I generally do not use PME.

I don't agree with this.
PBC is very useful for crystals.
For non-periodic systems PBC is still the best solution,
since using any boundary produces more artifacts.

Electrostatic interactions go as 1/r.
A full electrostatics solver, such as PME, is the only way to get the full 1/r.
Any other methods does not produce the correct 1/r interaction.
If PME produces artefacts, your unit-cell is too small.
This is not a problem of PME, but of your system size.

Berk