[gmx-users] Leaflet of Bilayer

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 22 07:55:37 CEST 2008

In my opinion, use any technique that you want (genbox included) then
run the resulting system for >=50ns while plotting the area per lipid
and order parameters over time. When these values stop drifting over
time then you have an equilibrated bilayer. If you have access to a
cluster that scales well to 4 cores then this should not take longer
than a month. With systems that scale well to 10 cores I can
equilibrate such a system in under two weeks. Of course, the more
limited your resources are then the more thought that you need to put
into your setup. Very generally, for beginners with at least moderate
computational resources, I suggest immediately following your first
good idea to get the system prepared and then, while it is running,
starting to think about how it could have been done in a better way.
With cpu resources as they are now, your initial run is likely to be
finished faster than anything else if you start it immediately and the
next time you go about this it will be faster because you will figure
out the better method.

Bottom line: an equilibrated bilayer is an equilibrated bilayer, and I
as a reader am not going to have any problem with your final results
even if I think that you could have obtained an equilibrated bilayer
with a quicker method.

Important note: Please use a new subject for a new topic. I know that
topics often diverge, but you started this thread with a vmd-list
question and now you are on to something that is only related to that
by the fact that you study membranes.

Chris.