[gmx-users] Announcing: Gromacs 4.0, release candidate 1

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Mon Sep 22 08:46:51 CEST 2008

Stockholm, September 22 2008

In a bold move today, the Gromacs developers finally decided not to
wait for Duke Nukem Forever before releasing Gromacs 4.0, and just put
out release candidate 1 together with a new manual at

ftp://ftp.gromacs.org:/pub/beta/

"We realize it could be a big disappointment to many users not having
g_dukenukemforever built-in, but sometimes you have to make hard
decisions. Had we waited further, we might even have had to release
Gromacs 5 before Gromacs 4", an anonymous developer said.

If you haven't already been playing around with CVS for the last year
we think you'll be pretty impressed with the scalability of the new
code, in addition to full checkpointing support, REMD, and various
optimizations.

Having said that, since the code has changed a lot we decided to have
a fairly short cycle of "release candidates" before putting out the
real version. Please download the code above, try to compile and run
with it (see manual and html pages in the distro for documentation of
new stuff), and submit any bugs you find to bugzilla ("If it's not in
bugzilla, it's not a bug").

Have fun!

Erik, Berk, and David.