[gmx-users] Pressure Coupling Problem

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Wed Apr 8 20:31:45 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Joe Joe <ilchorny at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI Chris,
>
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:31 PM, <chris.neale at utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ilya,
>>
>> First thing that comes to mind is that it is strange to couple a coulombic
>> switching function with PME. While this could possibly be done correctly, I
>> doubt that it is in fact done in the way that you expect (i.e. correctly) in
>> gromacs. In fact, I think that grompp/mdrun should probably throw an error
>> here -- unless it is actually handled in the proper way, and a developer
>> could help you here to figure out if you are indeed getting what you desire.
>>
>> coulombtype              = PME
>> rcoulomb-switch          = .9
>> rcoulomb                 = 1.0
>

> I am pretty sure gromacs ignores the rcoulomb-switch parameter in the case
> of PME but I will give it a try.

It is indeed supported and does work correctly. But you have to set
coulombtype PME-Switch. mdp options says:
"This is mainly useful constant energy simulations. For constant temperature
simulations the advantage of improved energy conservation is usually
outweighed by the small loss in accuracy of the electrostatics. "

Roland

>> Chris

865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309